Freight Services Guide
Looking to find the right freight shipping service for your needs? This guide will help you make the right decision.Learn More
Understanding Protect From Freeze
Fall is here, which means leaves are changing color, everything is getting pumpkin spiced, and the air is getting crisper. That crispness will soon turn to coldness in much of the country, however. As we move into the chillier seasons of the year, it's definitely worth taking some time to consider your temperature-sensitive shipments. Shipping temperature-sensitive goods unprotected in cold or freezing outside temperatures can damage or destroy a shipment, and cost you thousands of dollars.
Fortunately, Worldwide Express and our carefully curated collection of less-than-truckload (LTL) freight carriers have got you covered. During the cold months, many of our carrier partners offer a very special service catered to your temperature-sensitive shipments: Protect from Freeze. Here's a look at what to expect from this specialized option:
- Protection. It's in the name of the service, so it had better be included, right? When you select Protect from Freeze service, your temperature-sensitive items will be given an appropriate level of protection, depending on your shipment's content, transit lane temperatures, etc. Examples of this protection include refrigerated "reefer" trucks, heated cargo areas, thermal blankets, and warm storage for shipments that arrive earlier than anticipated.
- Temperature monitoring. This includes being careful with your shipment's temperature, of course, but also refers to the carrier monitoring the outside temperature and adjusting your item's protection accordingly to keep it above 32 degrees.
- Speedy transit. Keeping your shipment at the appropriate temperature is much easier when it has a reduced time in transit. Protect from Freeze service generally includes expedited and/or multi-driver transit to minimize travel time.
- Smart route planning. The carrier will consider the temperature needs of your shipment and the forecasted outside temperature along the possible routes when arranging this service. The result will be the route with the lowest possible freezing risk.
Protect from Freeze Service
As you can see, Protect from Freeze service goes a long way to protect your precious products. There are a few things you can do as well to minimize the risk of losses due to freezing:
- Get the Bill of Lading (BOL) right. A completely accurate and detailed BOL helps the carrier know exactly what they are dealing with when it comes to your shipment, and they can adjust your Protect from Freeze service accordingly.
- Label properly. Adding a "Do Not Freeze" or similar label to every package in your shipment adds an extra layer to your shipping safety net. This is one more alert to the carrier to take extra care with your temperature-sensitive items.
As great as Protect from Freeze service is at helping you (and not your shipment) stay chill, like any service, there are a few limitations to be aware of. If your shipment arrives at its destination frozen, and you didn't carefully specify Protect from Freeze requirements in the BOL as mentioned above, your claim might not be accepted. Also keep in mind that if weather conditions or other disasters become too severe in your intended delivery lanes, your shipment may be subject to a service embargo and not be accepted by certain carriers.
Your Cold Weather Shipping Handled
Fortunately, you have the perfect partner in Worldwide Express to help you keep your cool when it comes to cold weather shipping. We can help you identify when Protect from Freeze service is needed, what type of special handling you should request, and how to find the right carrier for the job.
Reach out to the experts at Worldwide Express today for a free consultation on protecting your temperature-sensitive shipments. We won't leave you out in the cold!